Sunday, October 28, 2012

War Letters

Dear Mami,

I know that as you read these words you have tears rolling down your cheek to your neck. I know that every night you pray to San Don Bosco to keep me safe; I know that you think of me every moment of the day and send your love. Even though we are miles aways I can feel whats inside your soul, and it gives me strength.

I guess Franky's studies must be going well, his career will flower to bring him great success. I wish him luck, please let him know. As for papi, I know he misses every second of holding his baby girl and smelling her coconut-scented hair--We will return to those times soon. I promise. Take my word. To you I do not have alot to say since you know me so well and vice versa. I cannot lie to you as you cannot lie to me. Please don't reply saying that you are fine, because I know that anxiety is consuming you (remember I can tell just by the way you curl your "y" and "g.") I beg of you to tell me what is actually happening back home, the government's future plans for the war and most importantly your advice. Oh and Duqui! I miss petting her black fur and lying on her chubby tummy, hearing the rhythm of her tail against the tile floors.

Like I said, I cannot lie to you. I cannot pretend that you will buy the claim that there isn't a single scratch on my face and body, that I remain unchanged, unscared and complete. Mami, the nights are cold and theres no one to kiss me goodnight. I pray to God and San Don Bosco as you taught me, I always carry my holy pin and bracelets, they seem to isolate me from the evil that lies on these lands; they lead me to a safe path. All I want to do is to keep my relationship with you as open as it always was and always will be, I don't want this war to ruin one more thing. Don't ever forget I love you, Franky, Papi and Duqui--We remain strong and united through whatever.

Love,
Ana Lorena Garcia



Letter Annalysis: 

I described in the last paragraph of my letter that I have a very open relationship with my mother. I tell herneverything going on in my life; she knows my deepest hopes and dreams, my darkest fears, my wishes, my beliefs. By just looking into my eyes she knows exactly whats on my mind. There is no other person in the world that understands me like she does, she is truly my best friend. If I were in war all i would want to do would be to calm her down somehow, and I know that in order to do that I would have to talk to her directly some way. I chose to write to her because it is a proccess that I know would bring tranquility to both me and her, this letter would strengthen our relationship even more.

Like I said this letter is written to provide comfort and support. I shared what was neccessary about the war, I didn't keep away my pain but I kept away specific details of what was occurring. It would be a horrible experience for her to find out all that was happening though a piece of paper, I would rather tell her how I avoid these horrific situations through what she has provided me. I kept the letter quite deep and I didn't pretend to be happy and completely safe, but I shared what I know she would value: hope and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment